Thursday, July 1, 2010

Book Review: Confessions of a Public Speaker

Since I have started doing more presenting lately, I thought it would be worth my time to read a few books on the subject. First up was Confessions of a Public Speaker by Scott Berkun (@berkun). As a side note, if you already have one of Scott's books, he is having a contest now and you could win $100 Amazon gift card as well as a signed copy of a new book.
My verdict? Go buy the book. It’s a good read. It has a lot of funny stories and good tips from a guy that does presentations for a living. If you are thinking about doing a presentation or already presenting, this book has something to offer.
It really enforced the fact that I need to practice more for my presentations. Just because people say your presentation was great, doesn’t mean it really was. There is a funny story in the book about this by the way. On the flipside, I learned that sometimes you are the only one in the room that thought your presentation bombed, because you were the only one that knows what was supposed to happen. That’s a good thing to keep in mind because normally things don’t always go exactly as planned.

I also bought Presentation Zenand Presentation Zen Designby Garr Reynolds in order to beef up my slide decks. I am currently finishing the last of the Presentation Zen books, so I will summarize my thoughts on those two in a later post.

1 comments:

sqlsamson said...

I actually ordered this book via Kindle because I want to better my presentation skills. I have only presented a few times, but I am at a point in my life where I feel I need to step out of my comfort zone and get risky to an extent. Not talking about streaking, but making changes for the better personally and professionally. Thanks for posting a review