Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Finally Accomplished My First Goal Of The Year


After a little luck and a few months with very little sleep, I finally got a hard copy of my first book today. I was thinking about goals toward the end of last year and one of the things on the list was to get published. I sent an email to Apress on 12/1/2008 with a couple of book proposals and they responded the next day. One of the editors said “I did google you a bit, and I found your articles on SQL Server Central. In particular, your profanity piece caught my eye:” If I hadn’t written a few articles for SQLServerCentral, I may have never gotten the opportunity to write this book (Thanks Steve). He said my proposals would conflict with some books they had in the works, but they were looking for someone to write a “Pro SQL Server 2008 Administration” book.

What I originally had in mind was writing a chapter or two for a book; not a whole book. That being the case, I reached out to one of my old co-workers for help and he agreed to help me out. The editor sent us all of the official paperwork and by mid December we were good to go. There was a little bit of a learning curve at first, (writing style, word templates, proper configuration for images, etc.), but once we got going it started to get a little easier.

This was one of the hardest goals that I set for myself and was actually able to accomplish. Basically, if you want to do something, write it down as a goal and then do it. This time last year, I never though I would have a book published (I always hated writing in school btw) and now I am finishing up my second one and doing a little tech reviewing on top of that. Now I guess I can move on to some of the other goals I had. Where is that list anyway…