Thursday, September 10, 2009

Be Careful When Uninstalling SQL 2008 R2 CTP

When SQL 2008 R2 CTP came out, I immediately downloaded it to try out the new features. I already had an instance of SQL 2005 and SQL 2008 running on the same machine. When you install SQL 2008 R2 it overwrites the management tools for SQL 2008.
A few weeks later I uninstalled SQL 2008 R2 and went to install the SQL 2008 management tools again. Every time I tried to run the install I encountered the following errors.
Unable to get installer types in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.PSSnapins.dll assembly.
Followed by…
Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParser, Version=
I tried uninstalling all SQL components and anything to do with PowerShell with no success. I chalked it up to something specific to my system until I saw Mladen Prajdić (Blog Twitter) post something on Twitter the other day having the same issue.
I’m not sure if anyone else is having this issue, or if it just hasn’t surfaced very much yet. Here is a post on the SQL Forums with more details. To date, Mladen or myself have not been able to overcome this issue. I may have to reformat my laptop to get SQL 2008 installed again unless someone comes up with a resolution for this soon.