Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The PASS Virtualization Virtual Chapter needs your help!

I am one of lucky people that have been chosen to be one of the committee members in the PASS Virtualization Virtual Chapter. Okay the name is a little confusing, I know. PASS is in the process of converting all of their Special Interest Groups (SIGs) to Virtual Chapters; and this one just happens to be on SQL Virtualization.

I think Virtualization has a big future in the IT industry (as if it hasn’t already had a major impact), but to be honest I haven’t had a lot of experience using SQL Server on Virtual Machines. I am more of a “buy the biggest server you can and pack as many databases on it you can” kind of guy. I know I have a few questions about Virtualization mainly around Licensing and Administration, but I wanted to collect as many questions and/or comments as I could from the SQL world out there, compile the data, and answer some of the questions DBA’s have about SQL Server and Virtualization. If you could drop me an email at cyberjunkyks@yahoo.com with all of your Virtualization questions/comments (let’s leave it SQL related here) that would be awesome.


Here are some of the questions/comments I have about Virtualization. Maybe they will spark a few questions of you own.

Licensing

It seems like you would pay a lot more money carving up a server and paying for each SQL instance, when you could just pay for a license for the entire server and install as many instances as you want. Can you just pay for an instance per proc for the entire server or do you still have to license each VM as if it were a different server?

Administration

I can think of a few reasons that VM’s would make administration harder over a consolidated SQL Server for example, you would have to patch each VM separately. I know everything has pros and cons, so what are some of the ways using a VM will help me as an administrator over server consolidation?

There are a few reasons I can think that VM’s may help from an Administrative perspective. One is the ability to have different maintenance windows for each application. Another is segregation of applications and resources from one another.

0 comments: