Friday, June 12, 2009

The Coconut Initiative

Okay, I guess it's my turn. I got tagged by Tim Mitchell on a blog post started by Tim Ford called "Give Me A Coconut and Six Months" Here is the scenario... orientation_film_button

"So You're On A Deserted Island With WiFi and you're still on the clock at work. Okay, so not a very good situational exercise here, but let's roll with it; we'll call it a virtual deserted island. Perhaps what I should simply ask is if you had a month without any walk-up work, no projects due, no performance issues that require you to devote time from anything other than a wishlist of items you've been wanting to get accomplished at work but keep getting pulled away from I ask this question: what would be the top items that would get your attention?"

I thought this was an interesting question, so I have been following the responses trying to figure out what I would do. This is kind of a hard question for me because early last year I decided to put myself on this "virtual deserted island" at least once a day. Unfortunately most of the time I'm on the island it's between 9:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m., so I guess one of the first things I could do is catch up on some sleep. I would also like to read more. I read a lot of blog posts and articles on the web, but I never can seem to get through all of the books on my list.

From a work perspective, I always try to set some time aside each week to research the new features in SQL Server 2008 or even some of the features that have been around for a while that I have never used. If there were no distractions, I could spend more time getting some hands on experience with some of these features. I have been trying to focus on performance tuning recently, so that is where I would probably spend most of my time. I knew that this was not one of my strong areas, so I made it a goal to improve my performance tuning skills this year. I don't want to just be able to tune a query; I want to know why a query is acting a certain way and why what I did made it act differently. Maybe if I was on this virtual island I could finally get finished with Grant's book.

So now, I'm going to tag Rodney Landrum because I was just bugging him in Pensacola about writing more blog posts. Sorry Rodney, you can't break the chain or you will have seven years of bad hard drives, or something like that...

I am also going to tag Sylvester Carstarphen because he just started a blog and I can't think of a better way for him to get started than getting tagged right off the bat.